As a primary care physician, I appreciate patients bringing new appropriate technology they’ve heard about to my attention. This adds to my treatment options, and hopefully helps me direct my patients to ...
(Read more)better outcomes. At the end of the day, I refer patients to specialists who can provide the best combination of knowledge and technical skill in their area of expertise. I am always excited to hear of specialists who are using innovative treatments and technologies that can provide my patients with better outcomes with less discomfort or down-time.
One of these cases recently came to my attention. I learned about a new technology, Balloon Sinuplasty, for people suffering from chronic sinusitis. Three key factors made the idea of referring my chronic sinusitis patients to ENT doctors trained on Balloon Sinuplasty devices easy:
1. Sinus problems are a big issue in my practice
2. My medical therapy options don’t work for everyone
- 10% to 50% of the patients in my practice (depending on the season) have sinus issues
3. Historically, I had a negative perception of sinus surgery and the unpleasant experience patients have had regarding recovery time and multiple visits for post-op care.
- As many as 25% of my sinus patients do not respond to medical therapy
I am pleased that I can now inform my patients who are unresponsive to medical therapy about this new technology. I can offer them a novel treatment approach that has excellent supporting clinical data and can provide them with a much better patient experience. Knowing that my patients will get better with an innovative treatment that is both simpler and provides less discomfort is always an asset to the quality of my practice, the trust of my patients and the quality of their lives.